Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Headaches

For 3 months or more, I've been suffering through a lot of headaches. Headaches are not something that I have often, and usually I can trace why it's going on; dehydration, cold, sinus, etc. Right now I'm averaging about 1 headache a week... occasionaly two. The biggest problem is that they last 2 to 3 days in most cases. The one I have now started on Monday morning. Usually if I have a headache, I can take a couple of tylenol, go to bed and wake up and it's gone, never to return. But not these ones, tylenol just kills the pain for a while. It's really frustrating. These headaches feel like sinus headaches... right behind my eyes and in the back of my head. Though I'm not really certain, because I've never had sinus headaches last so long and come so often.

I've talked to the perinatal Dr. about it, he suggests that it's all the extra hormones running through my system from the pregnancy. Now, I know that one pregnancy is different from others in ways... I had no headache problems when I was pregnant with Joshua. When I talked to the midwife about it last week, she suggested it could be sinus or even tension headaches. She suggested I use a netti pot and some salt water to flush out my sinus'. The netti pot didn't work at all. Elizabeth Wells suggested I may need to get my eyes checked for glasses; something I have been thinking about for a little while. Who knows! I think I may go see a massage therapist. Anyone have any other suggestions? By the way, motrin, Ibuprofen, and aspirin are not options because I'm allergic.

13 comments:

AdaMandy said...

HA yeah I was gonna say, get a massage. :) I know that headaches are common for some pregnant for women. Your eye sight getting worse from hormones as well. I'm sorry headaches suck. Let me know if I can help you out.

CM Stephensen said...

Wanna give a massage?!

Groff Family said...

I have gotten headaches with everyone of my pregnancies. Usually migraines too. It's awful, and Tylenol doesn't quite cut it either, but there's nothing else you can safely take! Massage sounds like a nice idea, or you could try some acupuncture. The MacDonald's could give you a referral, they do it.

CM Stephensen said...

hmmm Acupuncture... now that is an idea!

Well, I just got back from the eye doctor... no problems there. He said in women there are 5 main cause of headaches, and it could be a combination of any.
1. Eyes
2. Stress
3. Lack of Sleep
4. Hormones
5. Diet/Hydration

I drink a lot of water every day, so that's not it. It could be the sleep and obviously hormones. Stress, I'm thinking not so much... I have a pretty slack life, but I do get worked up about things pretty quick.

Steffi said...

i get the same kinds of headaches, just not as frequent as you do. since i never got them before i was pregnant, im pretty sure its the hormones. i only get them every 2 or 3 weeks and i dont take any pain killers, cause as long as its that rearely i can deal with it. last time i used a netti pot too and it really helped me a lot. maybe you just need to use it more often??

congratulations again on your babygirl, i am beyond excited for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

your sister in law

Anonymous said...

Massage is the answer to all your headache problems. I swear by them. I used to get headaches several times a month, and bad ones, now I get a massage once a month and my life is much happier for it.

CM Stephensen said...

Yeah, I'm thinking massage is the way to go. I've got one scheduled for tomorrow already!

Pittman Four said...

Just so you know... I believe certain hormones are higher when you are preganant with a girl...
Sorry about your headaches. Hopefully they'll go away soon.

CM Stephensen said...

hmmmm... all things point to girl!

GASteph said...

Don't use a Nettipot -- buy the Sinurinse bottle. It's usually on the bottom shelf at the pharmacy. It's made by the same company and works SO much better. It takes some getting used to, but I usually use it while in the shower. That way the water doesn't get all over the place.

Stephanie Holt Warner -- long time, no see!

CM Stephensen said...

Oh Stephanie!!! I'm so glad to hear from you!! How excited I am!!

I will go search for this sinurinse bottle you speak of and try it out. I don't think there would ever come a time that I would not follow your suggestions!

Wow.. how are you guys?

Freeman Family said...

No thoughts on the headaches but I love your new header picture, totally cute!! I hope your massage was a success!!

Margareta Jeppesen said...

Hey Christy! I was just commenting because I'm 14 weeks pregnant and having tons of headaches with this baby. I had more with my 3rd baby. They knock me off my feet.
Tylenol takes the edge off, and is safe while pregnant, but doesn't take them away.
I just saw something about meditation reducing headaches by 20%, I don't know much more than that. I was going to research it because I need to be available to my family and still go to school during my headaches.
If I find anything useful I'll let you know more. Pretty much my doctor said the same thing about pregnancy hormones causing headaches, but said that eating on a normal schedule everyday may help as well as regular sleep patterns.